Friday, December 10, 2010

do you ever think about

if you would be your own friend if you met yourself on the street somewhere or in a coffee shop or a bookstore?

I keep having extreme nostalgia for things that never happened.


I decided to elaborate due to Sammy's request.

I will begin by saying that I pretty much never think about the first thing I mentioned, only that I think I thought about it for nearly a second and decided to pose the question via blog, because it seemed like an interesting thing to think about. I will hopefully think about it at some point in the near future, because it does seem like something I should think about, at least sometimes. Am I the friend I would like to be? I once heard it said that when we say we "love" someone, that it should mean, "I am here for your good" instead of the "what can you do for me?" mentality that I have most of the time. I am sure many could argue against this, or at least propose many other definitions for love, but I just really like thinking about this particular one, although I don't think it enough at all. Is that what I am really living into the people's lives I say "I love you" to? Is that what I am really living into the people's lives I really love? And if I am not, then what do I mean, or think I mean, when I say/feel/think I love someone? I realize it probably seems I am going on a tangent, but I was really just thinking about what "friendship" means, and I guess I think it means "love," in a way. "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his(/her) life for his(/her) friends." Am I laying down my life for my friends? And what does this mean exactly? What is laying down my life? hmmmm. I wish I could say I am trying daily to figure this out, but I am not. Give me your thoughts, people. Really.

And as for the nostalgia thing, well, that is an explanation for another day.

2 comments:

  1. i want to hear an elaboration on this entry. BADLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i'd find my own self (as a friend) confusing and hard to read. and motives unclear. if i had to be honest. haha

    ReplyDelete