what is the point of creativity anyways? it seemed to just slip right out from under my fingers. it used to make so much sense...writing things. and here I am, swimming in a sea of hypocrisy and irony, typing out these words for you to see. but really: why should I further what I think into the world so that it can interfere with someone else's life? why would someone waste time reading these words when they could be doing so many other things, or when maybe my words aren't even that important! maybe my words are just my selfishness trying to push through this image of "who I am" to you, when I don't even yet know what that phrase means. why are we all trying so hard to mold this perception of what others think of us, with our music and our words and our paintings and our pictures and the things we say or don't say or the way we do our hair or the movies we watch...and the list could continue forever.
but the thing is, I am not saying that all these things are bad. I am just questioning why they are good. and I am only saying these things because I like them all so much, sometimes even to the point of doing them just to get others to notice. and maybe this is even what this post is. maybe I am just trying to make you think that I am humble, but why am I writing this post anyway?
because: I think creativity is important. and I sure do enjoy the creativity of others. I realize that, from a Christian perspective, we imitate our Creator, and our Creator made us and saw that it was good, and so we now create things...but do we see them as good? and why are we creating them? and if we aren't creating them for the right purpose then what are we creating them for? these are questions you can answer, or I could probably answer, or questions that we could simply both think about. or all of the above.
dear reader, if you made it this far, I thank you. for a lack of words, this seemed to...well, I just have nothing else to say.
Friday, May 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i think creativity is the outward flow of our thoughts in a more artful way- if creativity isn't important, then maybe talking isn't either, because isn't talking & communicating with others just reconfirming, connecting , for no apparent reason? but i believe there is a reason, in some sense.
ReplyDeletei think it's important to question why we do blog, but i don't think it's bad to express ourselves in this way. i agree, the goal of writing in here probably should not be to be recognized by others in a certain way, (something that reconfirms our identity) but maybe more of just relieving thoughts that are tangled in our heads to get them out. (or at least, that is why i write.) it's also kind of fun to realize what we deem worth writing about. even if it goes no where, even if our writing answers no questions, i think it is fun to pose questions, to contemplate. and i enjoy reading what you have to say, even if you are not god, even if it is just an outward flow of your creativity. it's fun to express ourselves. <3
ohh- but also:
ReplyDeletei think a time when our thoughts in here become a little too much, or useless, is when i am more interested in what we all have to say than reading about things that are actually important- aka school work, the news, etc.
for me, creativity is just the natural outpouring of what God has blessed me with. I used to care what people thought of what I blogged about, and would really struggle with making myself sound good, or using certain words but not using others to make the people who read what I wrote think a certain way about me. If you read my earliest blog posts, I'm sure it's pretty obvious. Now I just post pictures or whatever I'm doing to hopefully encourage others, and honestly I'd rather post designs/photos on a blog than on facebook! I also look to the internet to be inspired by others designers/ creatives, so I don't want to just steal their inspiration, but give a little of my own as well, even if they never see it.
ReplyDeleteAlso: I think it's a good point you make about thinking about why we write what we write, or why we make what we make. There is a verse in Isaiah that sort of points to this idea and I like it, so I'm gonna share it with you.
Isaiah 17:7-8 In that day men will look to their Maker, and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel. They will not look to their altars, the work of their hands."
So if the men in this verse had blogs back in the Bible, it would probably read something like this : "I made some sweet sculptures on my own today. I am awesome. Look at me." God doesn't want this though. He wants us to point to him in everything we do.
Basically, what I'm saying is, I'm sure the Asherah poles in the Bible were pretty elaborate, and I'm sure they looked good (even though they were altars to other gods). But God doesn't care that they looked good. He just wants us to look to Him and wants us to not take credit for our abilities. He gives us our talents, we just have to aim to glorify him in whatever we do- whether that is through a blog, conversation, design or writing assignment or whatever!
So I think it's really good you question stuff like this, but also think of how God uses anything and everything and how he honestly could use this blog to glorify himself, even if that seems absurd.
I just really like this post.
ReplyDeletei like this alot
ReplyDelete